Saturday 26 July 2014






Kohatutaka
as told to my mum by her dad



News came to the chief that his son was being hunted
the hunters were not far away

the chief said to his son
stand by the fire
stand in this position
when those who hunt you, arrive
we will throw large stones on the fire
be ready, for when I clap, run!

the hunters near
the chief orders the dumping of the stones on the fire
this causes much ash and smoke to rise from the pit
so much, that the chief can no longer see his son
standing beside the fire...

the chief claps his hands
the son turns and runs under the cover of the smoke
escaping his would be captors

Kohatutaka – the dumping of the stones

disclaimer: I do not validate this korero as the correct version,
but for me, it is how it was told and thus passed down
through three generations.


My epiphany:
Having recently attended a wananga
I was shown how to use the 'kohatu' to ease a pressure point

I was enamoured by the kohatu used that day
lovely rounded base, smooth, slightly dark
and decided that I was going to search out a kohatu for me

over the past week I've been committing my pepeha to mind,
and Kohatutaka is my tupuna and hapu

well, whilst having a korero with IO this morning
I kept seeing these 'big as' hangi stones being dumped into a fire
the sparks were flying....
I look closer and one stone in particular starts to draw me in
it looked round, smooth and slightly dark.....
I korero about other things with IO then say my goodbyes....

I'm now at the table and I take my first mouthful of food
and my epiphany appears:

I don't have to search for a kohatu
to use as a healing tool in my mahi
for 'I am' the kohatu
the kohatu is within me
the kohatu is my tupuna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.